Ethnic war in North Kivu Province has caused so many consequences , Nzulo has become a host place of victims of war who are called Internal Displaced People. It is located at 23 Km from Goma city, capital city of the North – Kivu Province, in Masisi Territory, BAHUNDE Chiefdom, more than 11595 are living in bad conditions.
Some of them were questioned when we went to distribute them clothes, soaps, matches and so forth.
- The first one is called DANIELA, 10 years old from MALEHE, Kitchanga town. She is on orphan. She reached at NZULO camp when M23 rebels fought against Congolese regular army.
DANIALA is a lame and she is living with her maternal aunt.
- MATABARO , 62 years of age with two children. At her age she breastfeeds a baby of six moths who is motherless. She makes nuts in the camp so that she may survive.
- Maman DIEME displaced people from MASISI. He cares 4 children.
How does she live? In a small house of herbs. She manages herself by doing small works such as : washing clothes for reach people, carrying luggage of people who come from Masisi and MINOVA at NZULO beach. With 600 Fc (0.6 $ US) she buys food and feeds her 4 children.
- AMANI internal displaced from KIMOKA, Masisi territory, 19 years old. He is a fish man. She lives from fishing small fishes called sambaza. His problem, is when the put their nets into water during night, they are threatened by unknown bandits speaking Kinyarwanda and they armed. They nets are taken around 3 AM at the first sound of the earliest bird.
- BAHATI JACQUELINE, 60 years old from MALEHE with 3 children. She lives thank to fire woods she looks for at Virunga park. One heap of woods cots 600 Fc (0.6$). Daily life, with the small amount of money her 3 children eat potatoes, cabbages and sambaza.
- LIMETI KASHAMBA, 78 years old from SAKE. She arrived at NZulo in January 2013 . They are at NZULO while flying clashes between regular army and M23 rebels.
- KARAFANDI BITEKO, 95 years old father of children coming from KIMOKA. BITEKO is old enough but living in un human conditions at Nzulo camp.
Consequences of ethnic conflicts war are so many :
For IDPS their very first is to restore peace in their regions occupied by rebels such as : RAIYA MUTOMBOKI, NYATURA, M23 , MAI MAI … They are victims mosquitoes, malaria, cholera and diseases. They do not use potable water and drink kivu lake water which is full of microbes. Children do not go to school. The economy of the has declined. Virunga fauna has destroyed by rebels.
Most of IDPS live only with 0.5 $ US. They declared , there are 6 months, they don’t assisted by Non Government Organization. People are suffering a great deal and starvation.
We recommend to DRC government to take its responsibility and think about displaced people by building for them school, houses, hospital… also to help them with materials which will help them to look for money.
DRC government must consolidate and restore peace in North – Kivu province.
Also negative armed group must be eradicated . Bridding and farming is the most important thing for the a human being , we recommend to government to give a space to IDPS where they can farm and bride and also give them hoes, panga. A certain saying goes : “Teach me how to fish instead of giving me a fish”